Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Where I'm From

I'm from action movies, from Lucky Charms and from Harry Potter.

I am from the welcoming, bright green house that I don't like the color of.

I am from the shamrocks, the tomato plants, the clams, and the weeds.

I am from Christmas Eve at Grandma and Papa's and worry, from Bill and Rosemary and Canonicas.

I am from the tendency to stick your nose where it doesn't belong and depression.

From "Marjie Cate!" and "You're my special girl".

I am from atheism and Catholicism, from a would-have-been priest, science, logic, and God.

I'm from the Emerald City and all over Europe, boiled shrimp and fresh-caught crab.

From the woman who would dig holes in chocolates with her thumb to see if she liked the filling before she would eat them, the imaginary friend I pushed into the sprinkler out of spite, and the grandfather who called all his granddaughters 'boys'.

I am from the childhood photos I stole from home, from Murano glass, from gross Christmas cookies, from family cookbooks, and so many blood relations I forget all their names. I am from things that make you ashamed and things that make you swell with pride. I am from balance and harmony and I am from chaos and disorder. I am from my parents, my grandparents, and everyone before. I am from the best of the best, the cream of the crop, and I am deeply loved and I love deeply.


You can find the template for this meme here.

1 comment:

Cap'n Franko said...

Lovely! I'm so glad and exciterd that you did this poem/meme! See ya in a few days for a wonderful trip to New Orleans!